Tuesday 14 May 2013

Day 13 - An Caisteal trio

I'll probably make this one a quick one, as I'm in Killin and my phones on the verge of running out of juice. (Left the charger with dad)

Today I climbed An Caisteal, Beinn Chabhair and Beinn a' Chroin. I kind of expected to just get another soaking. An Caisteal was covered in snow, drifts knee-high. An intense hail storm came in as I got off the summit, then cleared heading to Chabhair.

The worst form of slobbery snow was on Chabhairs east flank - melting, full of water and me sliding all over the place. Very frustrating, sun balls rolling everywhere in the hot May sun. But I was up in 40 mins from the bealach, down in 20, then over Beinn a' Chroin back to the Glen Falloch car park where dad was parked.

I'm in Killin tonight, staying at the Capercaillie. I've often been in here for a hot roll in the morning before setting off for a Lyon hill, but this is the first time I've stayed. It's a great place to spend the night, right beside the Falls of Dochart. These guys were also kind enough to reduce the cost in benefit of my modest budget, so they've been very kind.

Today has been a beautiful day, at long last. I'm on 28 Munros, a tenth the way in tally. Tomorrow I'll go over the Lawers 7 with Andy. It'll be a big boost to the count! I try not to look at the count too much, but it's good to feel as though I'm gaining some distance from the starting blocks. Mull feels quite long ago, and so much has happened since, but I still have many, many mountains to climb. But as long as the weather remains good, even reasonable, I should be fine to bash out some fairly big days soon. I had a bit of a worry with all the snow that fell yesterday; yet most of it melted it today.

Yesterday's rest day also did me a world of good. I had a fairly fast-paced day today and haven't suffered for it. I'm planning to do another fairly heavy five days, and then I've scheduled another rest. If the weather holds, it should be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment