Thursday 27 June 2013

Days 56 & 57 - REST!

26 & 27 June

Yes, it's been a lazy couple of days. First of all, I had to get my car checked in to Arnold Clark to fix some stuff needing fixed ... and then today, I just felt like taking the day off. I think that's the first time I've done that! It's cheeky, given the volume of stuff coming up. But it felt good!

So here's where I stand now.

I'm in Fort William tonight and from there I'm working north through Knoydart toward Skye. I also have the entire Mamores to clear up, which should take up the first good-weather day I can find. I'm so much more confident about doing this in a day having completed the Nevis day with such ease.

In general, the weather seems to have broken down a bit, but I feel I can fight it through. A couple days off has done the trick and I'm back up to strength. But I'll be competing with bad weather, and a high volume of mountains in areas of difficult access: look no further than Knoydart for that...

A couple of days off has also inadvertently given me a bit of a mental block after the high-tally soaring of the Nevis day. The solution is, of course, to get out there tomorrow and climb the mountains. It'll all come flooding back into pleasurable routine.

For the first time, I also feel as if the end is (sort of) in sight. Perhaps this is very optimistic at the moment, but it doesn't feel such a far cry. I think my advance up the north-west will only add fuel to the fire, and without a doubt, it helps that my parents are taking their summer holidays to coincide with the end of the Round. Psychologically that's a hell of a boost, because it makes me feel I have just three weeks of self-sufficiency until they're up. And one of those three weeks will be Skye with Steve!

All in all, I've been glad to take another break but for now I'll be powering through an intense section. My Munro total should fly up from here onward, since I'll soon be in the cradle of high-tally Munro link-ups, Glen Shiel. (9 in a day, anyone?) Not to mention the Mamores; 10 in a day.

Tomorrow, I'll have a washout at Glen Finnan, then likely a sunnier Gulvain in the evening. But I'm hardly looking any further than that for now.

Onward we go... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment